It is finally beginning to resemble something you could call summer in the UK! I braved tight-less legs for the first time this week, I wore sunglasses for an entire afternoon, and for the first time this year I felt like it might just be acceptable to start thinking about buying a new swimsuit. Windows have been flung open, cold dinners are on the menu and it's not long before I will be stocking my cupboards with all the G&T making paraphernalia. With the nights getting warmer and staying light past 9pm I plan to spend the next two months making the most of Brighton while I'm still here and it's at it's best!
Sunday// Banana; Blueberry Muffin; Lemon & Coriander Cous Cous; Roast Dinner: Chicken, Roast Potatoes, Carrots, Broccoli, Gravy. Tea Count: 1 Lemon & Ginger, 1 Breakfast. Water Log: 750 ml. Red Wine.
Monday// Ella's Breakfast Smoothie; Almonds; Avocado on Toast; Tomato Soup; Chicken and Spinach Curry with Brown Rice. Tea Count: 1 Breakfast, 1 Lemon & Ginger. Water Log: 1.1 L
Tuesday// Hemsley & Hemsley Quinoa Instant Porridge with Almond Milk; Quinoa, Steamed Broccoli, Sweet Potato Fries, Tomato, Avocado, Spicy Chickpeas; Apple; Chicken & Courgette Pasta. Tea Count: 0. Water Log: 560 ml.
Wednesday// Berry Smoothie; Almonds; Quinoa, Steamed Broccoli, Sweet Potato Fries, Tomato, Avocado, Spicy Chickpeas; Apple; Orange; Garlic Bread, Calamari, Pistachio Ice Cream; Lamb Chop with Tomato & Port Sauce, New potatoes with Rosemary, Peas. Tea Count: 1 Rooibos with Almond Milk, 1 Breakfast with Almond Milk. Water Log: 1.1 L
Thursday// Hemsley & Hemsley Quinoa Instant Porridge with Blueberries; Croissant; Almonds; Quinoa, Steamed Broccoli, Sweet Potato Fries, Tomato, Avocado, Spicy Chickpeas; Apple; Orange; All American Breakfast: Pancakes, Bacon, Sausage, Potato Wedges, Eggs, Maple Syrup. Tea Count: 3 Rooibos with Almond Milk. Water Log: 750ml. Cider. Bloody Mary.
Friday// Hemsley & Hemsley Quinoa Instant Porridge with Blueberries; Almonds; Cous Cous, Red Onion, Avocado, Tomato, Spicy Chickpeas; Tremeços; Sunflower Buttered Crackers; Spagetti Bolognese. Tea Count: 3 Rooibos with Almond Milk. Water Log: 750ml. Red Wine.
Saturday// Hemsley & Hemsley Quinoa Instant Porridge with Maple Syrup; Cheese & Ham Croissant; Leftover Spagetti Bolognese (Cold); Spicy Chicken, New Potatoes with Parsley, Tomato & Sweetcorn Pasta Salad. Tea Count: 2 Rooibos with Almond Milk. Water Log: 1.2L.
Tomato & Port Sauce
- 2 Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Dash of Port
- 3 tsp Sugar
- Olive Oil
Score the tops of the tomatoes with a cross. Place them on a baking tray, cover with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast at 180 C until soft and slightly blackened. Move tomatoes into a saucepan, mash down with fork. Add Balsamic, Port and Sugar and simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened. Serve a sweet addition to a red meat or savoury dish.
5 THINGS TO READ/WATCH
- My next baking endeavour thanks to the beautiful Rosie.
- Channing Tatum dress up as an old man because Magic Mike should be everyone's guilty pleasure.
- 'Kate Humble: Living with Nomads'- the inner anthropologist in me was engrossed.
- Ella shares a week's worth of organic recipes on a budget.
- Even if you're not festival bound this summer Into The Gloss has written a brilliant piece to help you overcome your fear of pigments.
5 THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY THIS WEEK
- Opening my first bottle of cider with a set of keys- life skills.
- Sitting down at a restaurant and ordering a starter and a pudding just because... then going home and making diner anyway. See Wednesday's food diary.
- Something finally happening in Game of Thrones! I was almost beginning to lose interest.
- Having fresh white flowers in the house again!
- Learning how to decipher all my medical records... one day it will take me less than two hours to make sense of my immunisation history.